The LSU Health Shreveport (LSUHS) Health Sciences Library's Writing Consultants assist LSUHS faculty, staff, and students and University Health staff by editing and proofreading writing projects. The service is offered free of charge.
Services at a Glance:
The consultants will:
- Edit documents for grammar, punctuation, syntax, and usage.
- Assist writers in developing and preparing documents for submission and/or publication.
- Review different types of documents, including (but not limited to):
- Research articles
- Poster text
- Grant proposals
- Personal statements
- We are not subject experts and do not edit for content.
- All documents will remain strictly confidential.
- Students will receive help with the writing portion of their assignment in terms of organization, grammar, punctuation, etc. The consultants will not do the assignments for the students.
- Any patient information should be de-identified before the document is sent to the Writing Consultant Service.
- No assistance will be provided for theses, dissertations, or writing assignments that are part of exams.
- Consultants’ editing comments may not show up on some mobile devices. For best results, access the returned document on a laptop or desktop computer.
- The document must be in English. Consultants are not fluent in other languages and do not provide translation services.
- The Writing Consultant Service is only available to faculty, staff, and students of LSU Health Shreveport and University Health. Consultants will edit documents co-authored with individuals at other institutions if submitted by the affiliated author. However, the consultants do not edit documents written entirely by non-affiliates.
The Editing Process:
- Send your document as an email attachment to the Writing Consultant Service (ShvLibWriting@lsuhsc.edu).
- Be sure to link to or attach the submission guidelines for your document.
- Describe in your email any specific details the consultants should know. Include the formatting style that you should use, such as APA, AMA, etc.
- A consultant will review the document to make sure it follows prescribed guidelines or standards.
- Throughout the review process, the consultant will leave comments or note suggested changes in the draft.
- The author of the document will be contacted regarding the final recommendations.
The consultants are librarians with other specific duties. Our response time to edit your document may be impacted by our other library responsibilities.
The estimated turnaround time for editing services is based on the length of the paper. Documents of ten pages or less can generally be returned to you within four business days. Longer documents may require up to three weeks. Please plan accordingly!
The Writing Consultants reserve the right to reject any request that falls outside the guidelines described here or any request where academic misconduct is suspected.
You are welcome to recommend the Writing Consultant Service to your students. However, we would appreciate advance notice if an entire class has a writing assignment with the same deadline. This will help us to prepare so that we can respond to all of the students in a timely manner.
Writing Consultants can provide writing classes for your students. Email us at ShvLibWriting@lsuhsc.edu to make arrangements for this.